James Stockmal is an independent management consultant and serves as President of the Association for Strategic Planning (ASP). Jim has more than 30 years of experience in helping organizations develop and execute strategic transformation through the integration of people-focused, process-oriented, and technology-enabled initiatives. Strategy clients include the Royal Bank of Canada, Australian New Zealand Bank, the Bank of Montreal, CitiCorp, CALPERS, Aetna, Ford Motor Company, Estafada, and Exxon Mobil. His government clients include the Department of Energy, US Air Force, the US Army, the Navy Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, NASA, the General Services Administration, NTSB, the Food and Drug Administration, and NOAA. His non-profit clients include Educational Employees’ Supplementary Retirement System of Fairfax County (ERFC), San Miguel DC and DC Net Impact.
Mr. Stockmal writes monthly articles on strategy development, execution and organizational transformation for The Strategic Edge, a publication of ASP. He can be reached on Twitter: @stockmalj.
Jim is married to Ellen Kollar, resides in the DuPont Circle area of DC, and is a member of Our Lady of Victory parish. When not helping clients, Jim loves to golf and cook.
Recent publications and presentations include:
- “Ecosystems: Is Yours Working for You”, August 2017, ASP Global Webinar.
- “Trends, Drivers and Innovation: What Every Organization Should be Thinking About”, May 2017, ASP Annual Conference – Toronto, Canada: https://www.strategyassociation.org/?page=JamesStockmal
- “Reflections on “S-Curves” and Leading Strategic Change” Linked In, November 1, 2016: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reflections-s-curves-leading-strategic-change-james-stockmal/
- “Government Transformation”, November 2015, World Strategy Summit – Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
- “Don’t Be an Ostrich: Don’t Be Afraid of What Your Customers Have to Say or Avoiding Pitfalls Capturing the Voice of the Customer”, DIY-CI.com, March 2015.
- “Overcoming False Foundations for Strategic Planning and Change”. The Strategic Edge, September 2014.
- “Managing Transitions”. The Strategic Edge, August 2014.
- “Execution of Strategy Demands Strategic Communications”. The Strategic Edge, August 2012.