Learn the latest thinking in strategic management and help your organization prioritize for success.
Learn strategy management and earn university certification with colleagues from around the world in two hour sessions over ten consecutive weeks.
Our 10-week, fully online program, "Mastering Strategy: Strategic Management Performance System" breaks the strategic management process down into phases and tasks to help you easily grasp these concepts and implement them into your organization immediately.
Working alongside live, expert instructors, you'll build skills in:
- Leading and managing strategy formulation
- Implementing new strategies
- Evaluating the success of each strategy
Key takeaways from the program include:
- Organizational and Strategic Management Maturity assessment
- Team Strategic Management Competency assessment
- Comprehensive study guide with all content slides
- Individual and breakout exercises for discussion and application
- Personalized feedback on all learning checks
- Toolkit with 50+ practical tools and templates
- Case studies and best practices from across the public and private sectors
- GWU Certification in SMPS framework
Note: This is the only online program which prepares you for the SPP and SMP certification exams.
- Graduates of the Mastering Strategy program have been highly successful in pursuing IASP "industry" level certification at both "Strategic Planning Professional" (SPP) and "Strategic Management Professional" (SMP) levels. Historically the collective pass rate for IASP "SPP" and "SMP" certification exams on first sitting is above 95%.
- At last count, 27% of all IASP certified Strategic Planning Professionals, 12% of all IASP Strategic Management Professionals, completed the LBL Mastering Strategy SMPS course on their pathway to certification
- Alignment of the Mastering Strategy SMPS content to IASP Body of Knowledge Guide 2.0
Start formulating, implementing, and evaluating strategy right away.
Learn how to lead, conduct, and evaluate the strategic planning process in your organization.
Strategic Management certification programs offered in association with....
Mastering Strategy - Live Online 10-Week Training Program
- Ten consecutive Tuesdays, June 6, 2023 – August 8, 2023
- Each two hour session will run from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM (Eastern US)
- Receive 5% Early-Bird Discount when registering prior to May 8, 2023
Online Live via Zoom
Course Fee: $2895*
Text Book: $65 (required)
Participants Will Learn
KEY ORGANIZATION DESIGN CONCEPTS & PRINCIPLES
- Strategy analysis
- Context, intent and alignment
- Organization systems theory
- Organizational complexity and volatility
- Theory and practice of individual and organizational agility
CULTURE, STRATEGY, AND DESIGN METHODS
- Diagnosing culture
- The requirements that strategy places on culture
- The pros and cons of different organization construction approaches
- Selecting the right approach for the current culture
- Establishing a baseline for each participant
- Evaluating the breadth and depth of their resulting toolkit
- Identifying additional skills to fully develop their credentials
- Exploring future trends in organization constructs for building in flexibility and scalability, for example, the impact of robotic automated processes, artificial intelligence, big data and analytics.
The program is designed for professionals looking to develop strategic management competencies and utilize various strategic tools to help their organizations and themselves succeed by:
- Leading and facilitating all phases and tasks of effective strategic planning and management
- Acquiring a foundation in principal developments in the study and practice of strategic management
- Thinking strategically and screening for opportunities that best match the core competencies of the organization to deliver customer value
- Aligning teams and individuals behind a common vision, strategy and strategic plan
- Ensuring strategic priorities are aligned to strategy and designed to drive the right outcomes
- Bridging the gap between strategy and execution via clear accountabilities, timely communications, effective measures, and creating line-of-sight to strategy
- Leveraging an agile performance management system to guide effective decision making
- Cultivating a strategy-focused organization to ensure governance drives strategy and strategy drives budgeting
- Building professional credibility, including preparation for the International Association for Strategy Professionals (IASP) certification and maintaining Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification
Randall Rollinson is President of LBL Strategies. LBL is a Registered Education Provider of the International Association for Strategy Professionals (IASP), the Project Management Institute (PMI) and a certified veteran owned business. He is a certified Strategic Management Professional (SMP) and an IASP Pioneer. He is a nationally recognized leader in the practical application of strategic management principles, tools and techniques. He is the past president of IASP – Chicago Chapter. He is the IASP 2018 Conference Co-Chair entitled “Bridging the Strategic Execution Gap.” In 2010, he coauthored and published a strategic management text book entitled Strategy in the 21st Century: A Practical Strategic Management Process.
Since 1985, Randall has served more than 2600 clients in a wide range of industries with practical strategy facilitation, board development and performance management services. He has a special focus on industry associations where governance issues are often a major consideration. Over his career he has specialized in strategic management consulting, teaching and software development. His body of work includes the Mastering Strategy: Strategic Management Performance Certification Program, which won the 2001 Exemplar Award from the International Association for Continuing Education and Training, as an “exemplary, outstanding results-oriented program.” This live and online education program is now offered in partnership with George Washington University, Center for Excellence in Public Leadership to help management professionals expand their knowledge, skills and provide a pathway to IASP certification.
He has extensive experience in facilitating focused, high-profile, confidential planning processes. He is highly skilled in helping leaders work through tough topics. He is trained and experienced mental health counselor. He has led thousands of planning discussions where a strong command of group dynamics was required. He grew up in a family business. He has worked with hundreds of family businesses. He is a former association executive. He is very familiar with associations, boards, executive leadership and has a general understanding of the association management industry.
Randall holds an MBA in Management from DePaul University, a master’s degree in rehabilitation counselling and a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Southern Illinois University. He has taken advanced certificate level training from DePaul University in executive information systems and project management. He completed a certificate program in international trade at the World Trade Center of Illinois in 2011. He is a certified Balanced Scorecard Professional receiving his certification from George Washington University, College of Professional Studies. He completed an Advanced Measurement Certification program from the Balanced Scorecard Institute. He is an active member of the Chicagoland PMI Chapter and a former member of the Chapter’s Executive Council.
He is a past President of the Norwood Seniors Network. He is a Vietnam veteran.
Randall uniquely contributes to the LBL team by 1) serving as the strategic leader and primary business developer of the organization, 2) designing, developing and delivering a broad range of strategic thinking and management products and services, and 3) building external relationships with business leaders across the world.
He enjoys listening, facilitating, writing, teaching and delivering on promises made to LBL’s customers and strategic partners. He has a primary interest in helping leaders accept the reality of climate change. In his spare time, he enjoys working out, running/walking, traveling, water skiing and family.
Doug Maris is Vice President of Operations and serves as a Senior Consultant & Senior Trainer for LBL Strategies. He has over twenty-five years’ executive leadership and strategy experience. As Senior Director of Business Development he developed, launched, and led a strategic management system for a large nonprofit senior healthcare and living chain with 2,200 employees and $175 million annual budget. He also served as Executive Director for three large retirement communities, responsible for over 600 employees and successful fiscal management of a $10,000,000 annual operations budget.
Doug has taught courses and conducted training events for George Washington University – CEPL; DePaul University; Lincoln Christian University; Exelon Utilities; ComEd Utilities; Washington DC City Government; U.S. Department of Defense; Upstate Medical University; PEAK National Summit; International Association for Strategy Professionals; Life Services Network; and many other businesses and organizations.
He has many years’ experience assisting non-profit organizations with articulating a strategic & operating plan with a focus on execution and developing key performance metrics. While serving with a large senior healthcare and living non-profit organization, Maris served as project manager/lead for major corporate-wide change initiatives and projects (including integration to electronic medical record platform, centralizing procurement automation and systems, establishing executive team dashboards, creating systems for increasing utilization of rehab service line, and initiating new reporting and metrics systems).
Additionally, he wrote and executed the business plan to launch a large pharmacy serving multiple campuses throughout Illinois and generating additional revenues for the company. Maris has also led two large churches as senior pastor through significant seasons of growth and outreach via major strategic management and change processes. Additionally, he has taught as an adjunct professor for Lincoln Christian University for over twenty years offering college and graduate-level courses. He is also former 6-year board director with the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital and current second-term board member of the Olympia Community Unit School District #16. He serves on the board of directors for the Association for Talent Development – Chicago chapter
Maris earned his M.A. and M.Div. from Lincoln Christian University. He also earned the Strategic Management Certificate from DePaul University and is a Certified Strategic Management Professional and Certified Strategic Planning Professional, both through the International Association for Strategy Professionals. He also holds Balanced Scorecard Professional and KPI Professional certifications.
Doug uniquely contributes to the LBL team by leading team members and managing operations with a laser focus on operational excellence and improvement. He is an experienced facilitator and exceptional instructor. As a big-picture thinker and problem solver, he desires to support the team to achieve personal and professional success. He enjoys attending his children’s extracurricular sports and activities, reading, boating, golf, and the Chicago Cubs (sometimes).
James Stockmal is the owner of SK Partners, a small independent management consultancy licensed in Washington, DC. Jim has more than 30 years of experience in designing and developing organizations across a wide spectrum of industries including banking, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and consultancies. In addition, Jim has helped organizations develop and execute strategic transformation through the integration of people-focused, process-oriented, and technology-enabled initiatives.
Jim’s clients include the Royal Bank of Canada, Australian New Zealand Bank, CitiCorp, Flagstar Bank, Aetna, Ford Motor Company, Sears, and Exxon Mobil. His government clients include the Susquehanna River Basin Commission, Stafford County, Events DC, the Department of Energy, the US Air Force, the Navy Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), NASA, the General Services Administration, National Transportation Safety Board, NOAA, and the Educational Employees' Supplementary Retirement System of Fairfax County (ERFC).
His non-profit clients include the National Sporting Goods Association, the Association for Airport Authority Executives (AAAE,) the Direct Marketing Association of Washington (DMAW,) the Institute for Building Technology and Safety, San Miguel DC, and DC Net Impact.
Mr. Stockmal writes monthly articles on organizational development, leadership, strategy, organizational transformation, and cyber security for The Strategic Edge, a publication of the International Association for Strategy Professionals (IASP.) Jim teaches the Strategic Management Performance System (SMPS) in conjunction with LBL Strategies and George Washington University’s Center for Excellence in Public Leadership (CEPL.)
Jim is married to Ellen Kollar, Ph.D., and lives in the heart of Washington, DC where he can be seen walking twice-a-day. When not volunteering and not serving clients, Jim loves to play golf, cook, and provide nurturing support to his twin sons in college.
He can be reached on Twitter: @stockmalj. Select publications and presentations include:
“Capacity Building for Smart Cities,” July 2019, The Strategic Edge.
“Conducting Virtual Strategic Planning Sessions.” April 2019, The Strategic Edge.
“Ecosystems: Is Yours Working for You”, August 2017, IASP Global Webinar.
“Trends, Drivers and Innovation: What Every Organization Should be Thinking About”, May 2017, IASP Annual Conference – Toronto, Canada: https://www.strategyassociation.org/?page=JamesStockmal
“Reflections on “S-Curves” and Leading Strategic Change” Linked In, November 1, 2016: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reflections-s-curves-leading-strategic-change-james-stockmal/
“Don’t Be an Ostrich: Don’t Be Afraid of What Your Customers Have to Say or Avoiding Pitfalls Capturing the Voice of the Customer”, www.DIY-CI.com, March 2015.
“Overcoming False Foundations for Strategic Planning and Change”. The Strategic Edge, September 2014.
“Managing Transitions”, The Strategic Edge, August 2014.