Learn how to design and run a foresight program for your organization. This Bootcamp is a practical application of the most widely used foresight tool, scenario-based planning.
Building an effective strategic plan for your organization is complex enough. When you’re facing significant uncertainty in your market (or service area) with limited information about your strategic landscape, the level of complexity can feel overwhelming.
Scenario-Based Planning provides a framework for planning in uncertain times by giving organizations a structured way to think about the future. Rather than relying on predictions to inform strategic plans, Scenario-Based Planning analyzes a range of future possibilities so that plans can account for a more holistic view of potential pathways and outcomes.
To learn how Scenario-Based Planning can help your team embrace and navigate uncertainty, register for our bootcamp today!
The program is designed for professionals looking to build competency in strategic foresight by learning about and practicing the most widely used foresight tool: Scenario-Based Planning. Participants will acquire knowledge and skills necessary to prepare their organizations and themselves by:
• Leading and facilitating all phases of a Scenario-Based Planning workshop
• Acquiring a foundation in principal developments of alternative future worlds, what drives them, and how to lead discussions to elicit capabilities needed to succeed
• Thinking strategically and screening for opportunities that help organizations prepare for an uncertain future
• Aligning teams and individuals behind the skill of “futuring” to enhance agility in the organization
• Ensuring strategic priorities are aligned to and drive the right outcomes
• Bridging the gap between strategy and foresight by learning tools to effectively analyze many possible futures, their needed capabilities, and priorities
• Leveraging an agile foresight system to guide effective decision-making
• Cultivating a strategy-focused organization, driven by deliberate thought and consideration of the possible futures that could unfold
The five day (or ten half days) Bootcamp will cover the entire Scenario-Based Planning process, including “how tos” for bridging the gap to inform strategy. From Day One, a logical path for understanding the required five phases unfolds revealing a practical foresight process; one that is in alignment with decades of practice in both private and public sectors.
The program will help you develop requisite foresight and Scenario-Based Planning competencies, including the use of key strategic tools in order to effectively assess an organization’s possible future environments and formulate strategies to improve organizational performance. You will be able to translate capabilities that may be needed in the future to strategy, and prioritize projects to drive the right outcomes. You will be able to describe the vital role foresight plays in strategic planning and execution, while selecting the future capabilities that matter most.
1. Focus on the Future
2. Develop Alternative Worlds
3. Facilitate a Scenario-Based Planning Workshop
4. Analyze Future Investments
5. Apply to Strategy Formulation
• Tool kit
• Trend Cards
• Network of colleagues
The Scenario-Based Planning Bootcamp is an intensive, hands-on executive and professional education program designed for leaders and organizations looking to build competencies and skill sets in strategic foresight. As opposed to forecasting, which seeks to predict one likely event, Scenario-Based Planning is a foresight tool that explores many possible future outcomes in order to help organizations identify the capabilities necessary to prepare for an uncertain future. During the workshop-style Bootcamp, participants learn how to construct scenarios and conduct workshops to yield creative solutions and leverage tools to analyze capabilities for investment.
Professionals learn disciplined approaches to writing, facilitating, analyzing, and developing recommendations that fit their organization by being practical, sustainable, and cost-effective. By acquiring these skills, organizations become prepared to effectively focus people, resources, and capabilities for an uncertain future. The program is available in two formats: in-person and live online
This Program is available as:
• In-Person Bootcamp (five consecutive days)
• Online (five consecutive days or ten half-days)
Who should attend?
The Scenario-Based Planning Program is an executive and professional education program that delivers hands-on understanding and practical tools to those seeking to lead foresight in their organizations, along with those desiring to develop skills to take on more responsibilities tied to strategic foresight and strategy management
.• Individuals and leaders interested in leveraging foresight as a tool to prepare for an uncertain future
• Professionals charged with leading, managing, or having responsibilities linked to development and implementation of strategy
• Owners and senior executives who see the need for more effective preparation for dealing with unknown disruptors in their organization
• Professionals building a pathway to careers in foresight and strategic planning and management
• Project management professionals seeking to bridge the gap between foresight and strategy development
• Strategic management consultants seeking to expand the horizon-scanning portion of their portfolios
• University-level business management degree students, both graduates and undergraduates, wanting to further define their value to potential employer
Why LBL Strategies?
- Our trainers have a combined 150 years’ consulting and training experience in serving international businesses and public sector organizations
- Internationally recognized subject matter expert(s) in organizational design
- Recognized leader in organizational strategy development and execution
- 35 years’ experience offering university and/or association sponsored certification/certificate programs
Veteran Owned Small Business
Qualified Association for Strategic Planning
Project Management Institute
The George Washington University College of Professional Studies
Senior Trainer: Scenario-Based Planning
Robin Champ is a senior trainer with LBL Strategies focusing on strategic foresight and strategy. She previously served as Chief of the Global Futures Office at the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA). In this capacity, she developed a comprehensive methodology (to include stakeholder interviews, scenario based planning, SWOT analysis, policy analysis, and crowdsourcing) to facilitate development of the Agency’s Strategic Plan. She also spearheaded the introduction of Scenario-Based Planning in the organization and is a frequent speaker on the subject at various Department of Defense (DoD) and interagency venues.
Prior to joining DTRA, Ms. Champ worked at the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), Office of Strategic Planning and Enterprise Transformation, where she was their Lead for the 2010 Quadrennial Defense Review. While at DLA, she wrote their Transformation Roadmap and was the Program Manager for DLA’s Balanced Scorecard.
Ms. Champ earned a Bachelor of Science in Journalism/Advertising from the University of Maryland in College Park where she was the Outstanding Senior in Advertising, graduating at the top of the Advertising class. Ms. Champ earned a Master of Science in National Resource Strategy from NDU’s Industrial College of the Armed Forces. She is also a graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School, Senior Executive Fellows program. In addition to a commendation from the Vice President of the United States, and her many awards for outstanding performance, Ms. Champ is a recipient of the DTRA Director’s Distinguished Civilian Service Medal.
Ms. Champ is a regular guest instructor on Scenario-Based Planning for LBL Strategies’ GW University “Mastering Strategy for the Public Sector.” She also co-leads for the Federal Foresight Community of Interest and has been an expert guest speaker on foresight at multiple forums such as:
• Association for Strategic Planning
• Federal Foresight Community of Interest
• Palladium Strategy Summit
• National Defense University
• American Society of Microbiology
• Department of Homeland Security
• Environmental Protection Agency
• Department of Energy National Labs
• Defense Innovation Summit
Guest Subject Lecturer & Subject Matter Expert
Dr. Richard Lum is an academically trained futurist and holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Hawai‘i’s Alternative Futures Program. Over the years he has accumulated broad experience in both foresight work and strategic planning. His previous consulting work includes government clients such as the European Commission, the UK government, and the US Department of Defense as well as corporate clients such as Grant Thornton, IBM, and PepsiCo. Not only has he published various research articles in journals such as Futures and Journal of Future Studies, but also recently released his new book: “4 Steps to the Future: A Quick and Clean Guide to Creating Foresight.” He is also the founder and CEO of Vison Foresight Strategy LLC and is actively involved in strategy planning and futures thinking.
Guest Subject Lecturer & Subject Matter Expert
Dr. Lydia Kostopoulos’ work lies in the intersection of national security, strategy, and
technology. She is the Science and Technology subject matter expert at the U.S. Special Operations Command’s (USSOCOM’s) Joint Special Operations University where she is working on developing technology related education for the Special Operations Force Professional. Previously, she was a SOCOM Strategy and Innovation Advisor conducting forecasting work on technology and the future operating environment. Dr. Kostopoulos has participated in the NATO Science for Peace Program, addressed the United Nations member states at the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons Group of Governmental Experts (CCW GGE) meeting on Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems (LAWS), done commissioned work for IEEE, and has been awarded the U.S. PresidentialService Award for her service to the cybersecurity community. Passionate about social technology awareness, she has an art series about AI and released an open-source game on technologies that affect humanity called Sapien 2.0.